JRA-55 based surface dataset for driving ocean-sea ice models (JRA55-do)
- Click here to access the update to the latest (v22.214.171.124).
JRA55-do (Tsujino et al., 2018
) is a surface dataset for driving ocean-sea ice models and used in phase 2 of OMIP (OMIP-2). JRA55-do corrects the atmospheric reanalysis product JRA-55 (Kobayashi et al., 2015
) using satellite and other atmospheric reanalysis products. The merits of JRA55-do are the high horizontal resolution (~55 km) and temporal interval (3 h). An assessment by Tsujino et al. (2020)
implies that JRA55-do can suitably replace the current CORE/OMIP-1 dataset.
Dataset status, versions, and history
Latest version (version 1.5)
About version 1.5
- Version 1.5 includes the following two fixes relative to version 1.4:
- The surface atmospheric fields around the erroneously (anti-cyclonically) rotating tropical cyclones that originate from the raw JRA-55 are replaced with those from 20CRv3 (Slivinski et al., 2019).
- The surface meteorological variables (specific humidity, air temperature, and wind vector) for the period after 2016 are replaced by those based on the delayed-mode analysis of the COBE-SST dataset, instead of the real-time analysis.
- Version 1.5 is planned to be extended into the future as JRA-55 is extended.
- An OMIP-2 type experiment forced with this version using the MRI model indicates that the overall effect of this correction is very minor.
- v1.5.0 (v20200916): temporal coverage is 01Jan1958 - 15Jul2020.
- Dataset is available through input4MIPs.
- To search, select "Target MIP" = "OMIP", "Institution ID" = "MRI", and "Source Version" = "1.5.0" among tabs on the left side.
- Written with CMOR version 3.6.0.
- Get "WGET script" for each variable and use it to download the data.
- A beta version v20200803 that was temporary available from here had some errors and thus has been replaced by v20200916.
- v126.96.36.199: temporal coverage is 01Jan2020 - latest.
- This version is a preliminary release extending v1.5.0 to latest (updated daily, but with four days of delay).
- Data is available from this server: Click here to access version 188.8.131.52.
- The surface meteorological variables (specific humidity, air temperature, and wind vector) for the latest 30 days are preliminary because they are adjusted using the real-time analysis of the COBE-SST dataset. They are sequentially (day-by-day) replaced by final ones as the delayed-mode analysis of the COBE-SST dataset becomes available.
- There may be delays without prior notice during the New Year holidays and computer system maintenance in MRI.
- User guide of JRA55-do-v1.5 is available from here.
About errors of JRA-55 that necessitated the production of JRA55-do-v1.5
The original problem is that lots of tropical cyclones are found to have wrong sign of rotation in the JRA-55 analysis, on which JRA55-do is based. JRA55-do has been inevitably affected.
Dates/positions of erroneously represented tropical cyclones are listed in the following:
About production of JRA55-do-v1.5 as a merged JRA55-do-v1.3 and 20CRv3 dataset
- A report on the production of the atmospheric fields of JRA55-do-v1.5 is presented here, with time evolution figures of the corrected fields for all erroneous tropical cyclones.
Codes to generate JRA55-do
The resources to maintain this page are kindly provided by Masayoshi Ishii of MRI.
The JRA55-do project is a project separated from the JRA-55 project conducted by Japan Meteorological Agency. Feedback should be directed to the authors of the description paper (Tsujino et al. 2018), not to the contact of the JRA-55 project.